There are four VAT rates, the rate of 15%, the rate of 8%, the rate of 5% and the zero rate. Restaurants, with the exception of alcoholic beverages, hotel accommodation, as well as transport of passengers by taxi and buses are taxable at the rate at 8%. Books, magazines and newspapers are taxable at the rate of 5%. Foodstuffs, medicines and airfares are taxable at the zero rate. Bank services, medical and dental services are exempted from any VAT charge.
Retail prices displayed for goods charged with V.A.T. should be V.A.T. inclusive.
V.A.T. CLAIM (Tax free shopping for visitors)
According to the V.A.T. legislation in force, foreign visitors to Cyprus (visitors from countries outside the EU) can claim back the V.A.T. on goods exported to a place outside the EU in their hand luggage.
Visitors are eligible for a V.A.T. refund under the following conditions:
1. -If they are not holders of an EU country passport or other form of identification,
2. -If they have not resided in Cyprus or any other member state of the European Union for more than 365 days in the last two years before the date they purchased the goods,
3. -The total purchase must exceed C£100 / € 171.17
4. -The goods must be exported in hand luggage by the last day of the third month following the month in which the goods were purchased.
Three easy steps to claim your V.A.T. refund:
1. -Shop wherever there is a tax-free shopping sign and simply ask for your tax-free document.
2. -When leaving Cyprus show your purchases and passport to customs officials and have your tax-free document stamped.
3. Receive your refund in the method of your choice.
For further information you may contact:
1. -V.A.T. Service, CY 1471, Lefkosia
Tel: 22 60 17 65, Fax: 22 66 04 84
2. Cyprus Consumers’ Association,
Tel: 22 51 61 12, 22 51 61 13, Fax: 22 51 61 18
3. Global Refund
Tel: 24 81 75 55, 99 44 25 33, Fax: 24 81 75 58
visit our Passport
and Visas section of the travelers A to Z.